Cotswold Barn Conversion
An early nineteenth century stone threshing barn in open country above Chipping Campden in the Cotswold Hills AONB. The brief required the removal of modern agricultural buildings and transformation of a derelict stone barn into a family home.
Preservation of the character of the barn required a considered strategy to incorporate two new build wings providing accommodation and additional living spaces in such a way that celebrated and centred the barn both in terms of the internal layout and its presence in the landscape.
The barn itself required careful handling to convert. The elm roof structure was carefully reconstructed, most timbers being retained, and the roof recovered in reclaimed clay tiles. Lime render was repaired and reinstated to the internal walls and extensive lime mortar pointing required to the external walls. Local materials were used where possible. Stone excavated from the groundworks is laid throughout with heating via a Ground Source Heat Pump. A green roof is sown with a Cotswold upland grass and wildflower mix to augment the local habitat. Landscape design in conjunction with garden designer Rupert Golby.
Client: Campden House Estate
Construction Value: £1.6 m
Location: Cotswold District, Glos
To discuss a project please contact
t: 020 7998 1525